Sore Eyes

Who do I see?

Community Pharmacy/Optometrist


In mild cases your local Community Pharmacist can provide advice and (where appropriate) prescription medication for sore eyes. Search for your nearest Community Pharmacist.

If your eye condition requires more investigation than a Community Pharmacist can provide you should see an optometrist, rather than a GP. An optometrist is the best person to assess urgent eye problems, check for eye disorders and treat eye conditions (they can also prescribe medication where appropriate), and they do not charge for this service. Optometrists have specialist equipment for the diagnosis of eye problems. To find your nearest optometrist search for your nearest opticians

Further information on optometrists and the services they provide is available from the Lothian Eye Health Network.