Insect Bites

Who do I see?

Community Pharmacy/Minor Injuries Unit/ GP if severely infected


Your local pharmacist can provide advice and (if required) prescription medication for the treatment of insect bites. Please search for your nearest community pharmacist.

If the insect bite occurred within the last 7 days and you are concerned that it isn’t getting better you should contact the NHS Lothian Minor Injuries service. They can treat adults and children aged over 12 months, and are available 7 days a week.  To use the Minor Injuries service phone 111 in the first instance.

If you unable to access the Minor Injuries services and wish to speak to a GP, please phone the reception desk on 0300 790 6277 to request an appointment.

Further information about insect bites and stings available from NHS inform.